In St Mary’s Axe, under the shadow of the Gherkin, is a church that survived the Fire of London.
St. Andrews Undershaft is so-called because it used to have a huge maypole outside in the 15th century which was taller than the steeple. In 1517 there was a riot when City apprentices rioted against foreigners “coming over here and stealing our jobs”. (It seems things haven’t changed after all these years!) So the maypole was taken down and never used again.
Inside the church there is a memorial to John Stow , the father of London historians. John Stow traversed London documenting every detail, mapping it and observing details about the people and buildings in his Survey of London.
He dies in 1605 and now every three years there is a ceremony where the Lord Mayor of London replaces his quill.